Friday, January 7, 2011

The Six themes of Happiness

Are you really happy? It's crossed all of our minds. Am I really happy? I love my family and friends, the ones I choose to keep as "my people". My faith is at the core of my being. I try to "be still" to see and hear Father, to be grateful for the little things in life: the intense look on the boyz faces when we read before bed, a rainy spring day, leaves in the fall (my favorite time of year), CHRISTmas sights and smells, morning coffee in the quiet, songs that bring special memories, and the giggles of my children. For me it's little things that seem to make me happy. But is that really enough?
There is a National Geographic book, "Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blue Zones Way," about the world's happiest people. Based on research, travels really, the happiest are those from Finland, Denmark, Singapore, and San Luis Obispo, California..... the list keeps going. According to the book, we too, can thrive even though we live the world over in places as different as night and day.
Where you live (the type of community), volunteering/GIVING BACK, connection in a faith-based community, socializing regularly, picking a fulfilling job (not salary), and choosing the right mate are all important to finding happiness, no matter where you live; and finally, the experiences of our life, everyday experiences are important to happiness.
Experiences are so much more important and fulfilling than "things".
For me, seeing one less orphan, always brings happiness. Being able to help a family....... awesome!
In 2011 we will have few new "things", but many new experiences as a family blessed over and over.
What are you going to do to create more happiness....... for you or others.?

1 comment:

travcat said...

I feel the same way about happiness! My mom was telling me the other day "you can't save them all!", but for me, trying is something!

I love your son's long hair! I always had my son's hair long when he was little, but now he is 16!

Catherine
http://wronginalltherightways-travcat.blogspot.com/