
Between two grocery stops last week, I had more in the refrigerator than a family of six possibly needs. I like having options when I go to the kitchen to figure out what's for supper, but I also don't like wasting food. I try to be creative and use up what I have before it wastes. I think that is a hold-over from growing up "poor"; I didn't know we were as a kid.
I have childhood memories of fighting over who would get the last empanada or the two cherry halves in the can of fruit cocktail. But even if we ate our share of beans, strange-sounding dishes and margarine sandwiches, I have no memories of going hungry.
I quickly cut up a ripe fresh pineapple the other day. Although wonderfully sweet, I could tell that it had reached a little beyond it's peak, I gave it to the boys, and made upside down cake. The next day, what was left was brown. I threw half of the pineapple down the disposal.
Then during my daily ritual of going thru emails and checking on the kids in process, I remembered the life my littles had in the orphanage... just getting enough food and water. I thought about the wasted pineapple.
Oh, to be always mindful of what we have and to not consume more than what we need.
No comments:
Post a Comment